FPV Airport Helipak Bag – Reviewed & Tested By Us
Before we are getting into information, we should appreciate Brian Erwin from thinktankphoto.com for providing this backpack for writing a biased review.
Even though this bag is sponsored review, all of the opinions are our own.
In case, you’re an FPV enthusiast you know one racing quadcopter is not enough. It is why we like the idea of this Think Thank Photo’s FPV Airport Helipak, it could fit around two to three mini-quads (250 class) with propellers attached or as much as five to six mini-quads (250 class) without propellers attached. Also, it can fit tools, 15” laptop, light jacket, radio transmitter, extra batteries, goggles, spare props, multiple GoPros, parallel charger, and lots of other things.
We understand, for around 200 dollars you can buy three other bags. However, think of it. With Airport Helipak Backpack you will get all the needed gears for an excellent FPV experience in a single pit stop. Having one backpack rather than two or three is convenient.
We tried to find a great bag that fits our needs. However, sadly the majority of the drone bags are created for a particular model. Even when it fit for some other models as well, it can store just one-by-one. Among the many racing drones which we have gotten for review, many of them only came inside a cardboard package, making it hard for us to carry more quadcopters in an extended FPV trip.
FPV Airport Helipak Backpack by Think Tank Photo is designed to bring a First-person view racer’s entire multirotor racing gear to their upcoming race. This comfortable backpack holds all their accessories, drones, equipment, and tools and is made to meet nearly all international and U.S.A domestic carry-on requirements. Also, you can check out our review on the Think Tank Airport Helipak for 3DR Solo Quadcopter.back to menu ↑
- The integrated rain cover can protect your expensive RC toys.
- In case, your zone of flight is in a remote location accessible just by foot, you could enjoy the comfort and ease provided by the air-channel with adjustable harness.
- Because of the easily-removed foam closed-cell dividers, you could freely rearrange the interior section based on your preferences.
- Wearing this bag is comfortable.
- It features YKK RC Fuse zippers.
- It is protective, very portable and yet lightweight.
- Outside buckles and webbing daisy chains for attaching FPV quadcopters quickly to the front side of your backpack.
The bag was shipped in around one week from Think Tank Photo to Sri Lanka, and it arrived inside a cardboard package. Came home we quickly removed the backpack from the nylon bag and the box.
On initial impression, FPV Airport Helipak not only that looks well-built, but it appears to be comfortable. The dimension of the backpack is around 34.5 × 50 × 22.5 cm plus weights around two kilograms.
Internal attachment points and custom divider set points mainly created for the first-person view (FPV) pilot enables you to rearrange your bag based on what accessories you are having.
Can Hold the Following Things:
- Around two to three 250 class micro-quadcopters with propellers attached or around five to six 250 class micro-drones without propellers attached.
- 15” laptop
- Light jacket
- Radio transmitter
- Extra batteries
- Spare props
- Multiple GoPros
- Parallel Charger
- And other things that you could fit in.
A rain cover which is seam-sealed is included in case you get trapped by torrential rains.
You can choose to hang your quadcopters (with propellers installed) outside effortlessly using buckles and webbing daisy chains. This method you can hook around four to five flying quadcopters, making you appear as a hedgehog.back to menu ↑
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Included seam-sealed rain cover.
- Durable, stylish, and lightweight.
- Can hold all the things you require for a session of FPV.
- Easily rearrangeable.
- Somewhat expensive compared to other quadcopter backpacks but well worth the investment considering long-term investment aspect.
- Difficult to hold inside bigger FPV quadcopters.
Backpack Extra Features
Both sides feature external pockets which can hold a little tripod (for FPV display/action camera) or even a water battle.
Small accessories, such as cables, propellers, a screwdriver can be kept on the see-through internal mesh pockets.
15-inch laptop pocket.
Extra-wide inside pocket for propellers.back to menu ↑
Why Buy This Backpack?
Headquartered in California, Santa Rosa, Think Tank Photo (the choice of working professionals) is a team of professional photographers and designers focused on finding out how exactly photographers are developing innovative, fresh carrying solutions which meet their demands and work.
They are focused on only using the high-quality design principles and materials, and using materials which are environmentally harmless. Overall, we highly recommend the FPV Airport Helipak Backpack for a FPV racer looking to carry more than one quadcopter.